Details behind Trippier deal
Newcastle United is edging ever closer to completing a deal for Atlético Madrid’s 31-year-old England international right-back Kieran Trippier, and further details have come to light about what that will cost the Magpies.
As of yesterday, it was reported that Newcastle would have to fork over as much as £30million with Trippier looking all set to move away from the Spanish capital and return to England.
But now additional details have been posited by Daily Telegraph northern football writer Luke Edwards, who tweeted earlier that Trippier would cost an initial £12million with bonuses that could just about double that price.
If Trippier is costing £12m with add ons (suspect this will include a staying up payment) I’m pretty sure the eventual cost will be close to double that. But it’s a very well structured deal if that’s the case and impressive. Got to get it signed and sealed though #NUFC
— Luke Edwards (@LukeEdwardsTele) January 4, 2022
Edwards also mentioned that some of the potential add-ons would come should Newcastle avoid relegation this season, which at the moment is very much up in the air given the Magpies’ position in the Premier League table.
Newcastle with two other targets on the table
A completed deal for Kieran Trippier would be a solid start to the January transfer window for Eddie Howe’s Magpies who remain in desperate need of reinforcements if they are to stave off relegation.
But the veteran right-back may just be the first of a few names in on Tyneside before the end of the month after Newcastle has recently been linked with two other potential incomings.
After failing to make headway in a surprise move for SL Benfica’s Uruguayan starlet Darwin Núñez, Newcastle is said to have turned their attention towards Zenit St.Petersburg’s Sardar Azmoun in a bid to fill the void left by yet another injury to Callum Wilson.
The St. James’ Park outfit have also been left frustrated in their attempts to prize LOSC Lille’s Dutch international starlet Sven Botman to the northeast of England and are now said to have set their sights on Tottenham’s Joe Rodon who remains on the outside looking in at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Should all three deals go through, Newcastle will have made up a considerable amount of ground in their efforts to supply Eddie Howe with the tools necessary to keep the club in the Premier League after one of their worst seasons in the top flight of English football in their history.