Sergio Reguilon gets Spain recall after interesting trip to Barcelona

Sergio Reguilon gets Spain recall after interesting trip to Barcelona

Tottenham defender Sergio Reguilon has been called up to the Spain squad after a fleeting trip to Barcelona.

Spain have a date with Kosovo awaiting on Wednesday and Reguilon will join up with the travelling squad.

Spain claimed a crucial 4-0 win over Georgia on Sunday evening in their World Cup qualifier after a potentially costly defeat to group leaders Sweden last week.

Luis Enrique changed his time around and they responded with a simple victory in Badajoz to take them to 10 points.

But it was not all plain sailing for Enrique, because both Aymeric Laporte and Jose Luis Gaya were forced off with injuries.

According to Football Espana, “Laporte’s injury does not look particularly serious, while Gaya’s appears to be more serious”.

And that has forced Enrique to call on Spurs left-back Reguilon.

The 24-year-old has five caps to his name, but he was not included in Spain’s Euro 2020 squad. And his last appearance for his country was November 2020.

He played in the defeat against Ukraine and the draws to Holland and Switzerland, but has not been seen on the international scene since.

But he may get another chance by replacing Gaya in the squad. Barcelona’s Jordi Alba though will be favourite to start against the minnows.

Reguilon had headed back to Spain last month after initially missing out on international selection.

And the former Real Madrid man posted a picture of himself on Instagram alongside Barcelona’s Fati at a concert in Catalonia.

 

That sparked social media into a frenzy suggesting Barcelona may be looking to land the player.

The Madrid-born player was linked with a return to Spain, but to his former club Real Madrid earlier this year.

Reguilon arrived from Real Madrid in 2020 for an initial £28m after impressing during his season-long loan at Sevilla.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Reguilon’s buy-back option

Real though made sure they had a buy-back option on the deal and the player has previously, somewhat worryingly, admitted he could return.

“Madrid is my home and where I have grown up and they have given me everything. The future is not known but that possibility exists,” he said in November.

 

He also made it clear it was not his choice to leave Madrid and more the LaLiga club’s decision.

Speaking to Onda Cero, relayed by Libertad Digital, he said: “I’m not in Madrid because it’s something that wasn’t up to me.

“My conscience is very clear. You can’t be frustrated about decisions you don’t get to make. I didn’t get to speak with [Zinedine] Zidane.”

Real Madrid  though never explored their buy-back option this summer and Reguilon stayed put.

READ MORE: Paper Talk: Nuno pushing hard to swap unwanted Tottenham man with impressive upgrade

 

The post Sergio Reguilon gets Spain recall after interesting trip to Barcelona appeared first on TEAMtalk.